Alternative accommodation clause (loss of rent)

A clause in both household buildings and contents insurances to cover the insured if his home becomes uninhabitable due to insured damage. The buildings insurer will pay the reasonable cost of: any necessary alternative accommodation, loss of rent due to the insured and a maximum of two years ground rent for which the insured is liable, subject to a maximum of 10 per cent of the amount insured. The contents insurer covers the cost of alternative accommodation and rent payable by the insured up to 20 per cent of the sum insured.